Skipping all the non-sense – This is how I would go about starting a fitness blog.
WordPress is a free Open Source software that powers something like 20% of the internet. It’s really powerful, simple and easy to use. When starting a fitness blog, you don’t want to be stuck trying to sort out software problems. WordPress does the best job at skipping that process.
Because it’s open source, there are lots of great software tools that you can download into your WordPress installation quickly. Here are a list of the ones we like to start with:
- Yoast SEO – This is your search engine tool to help you get ranked for Google Results
- MailChimp for WP – Start building an email list immediately. It’s free to connect to MailChimp
- Insert Headers and Footers – This makes connecting Google Analytics and other stuff easy because you can add important header code without knowing PHP
- Revive Old Posts – Automate the sharing of your posts on twitter and other social platforms so your blog is getting attention while you sleep
- Pretty Link – Makes quick links which are easy to remember, while your perma-links can be search engine optimized
My top recommendation is SiteGround.
SiteGround has excellent, fast support. HostGator and BlueHost will have you waiting on the phone for hours if something goes wrong. SiteGround has a ticketing system that will respond to you with quick, actionable advice.
Oftentimes, when I have a problem the guys at SiteGround fix it for me. Can’t recommend it enough for hosting.